Sunday, November 11, 2007

We tried the church here - again

There is one thing...and unfortunately the most important thing.....that we aren't happy here.....IT IS OUR CHURCH. We tried for a couple months when we first moved here to try the church here. Some things happened and it was all in spanish...so we decided to try out a church in a neighboring town. We have been going there (when we are in town.) We try really hard to make our weekend trips to my hometown or other places so we can go to church there. Many of you might be thinking bad of me....but most people don't realize how hard it is to be a WHITE CATHOLIC in a community that has little to none.
Both my husband luckily were raised in a STRONG catholic family. I was also raised in a STRONG catholic community. It was cool to be catholic and I had the opportunity to become VERY STRONG in my faith... My husband, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky. He was raised in a community were VERY few were catholic and so he wasn't lucky enough to experience what I had the chance to. (so he knows how it feels and doesn't want that for his children) I feel the same.
Some of you might know, church is how I met my husband. I was a sponsor for a friend of mine to become Catholic. (in the catholic religion....you CONVERT to be catholic if you aren't catholic...you just go to classes to learn about the religion and take other small steps before you decide if this is really want you want to do...which is great for all parties involved...As a part of her classes, we had to go to a women's retreat... I wasn't so excited about it, but I knew I needed to do it for my friend. So I gave up going to the Texas and Texas Tech football...(I love my lord....) and went to the weekend retreat...that is where I met my husband's angel...his sister...to make a long story short...after the retreat we kept in touch and she begged me to meet her brother that was a coach. At first I said absolutely no.... it was my junior year in college...my brother was coming to Tech the next year and I wanted to just have fun and not worry about a BOY...but she talked me into just letting him call and the rest is history) I ended up loving the retreat and the next one I was a chairman...I took over all the music also...so it was a blessing in hiding...
I love being catholic...but it is really hard....I love the traditions and the love of everything that we do. I also like the idea that my entire family goes to the same church and believes in the same things... that is a comfort that I need....

Many of loving friends that we have here ....really mean well.... they know that we aren't happy in our church at this time...they invite us to visit their churches. I don't want to hurt their feelings...but we (I) just can't. I know that there is a reason that the good lord brought be here...I just got to figure out how I can help me and my family....

Church today was nice...it is just hard (especially when you have 2 little ones) to hear the readings, sermon both in English and spanish.. I am a big music person and that is REALLY hard for me because it is all in spanish. I know what music in church gave me...and I want that for my kids....I need to think of something...

Thanks for listening to my ramble...but I needed to get it out....I need to find some peace for not just me....but for my husband. If it was up to him...we would be changing religions...haha...

(on a funny note....when we first moved here...the first things that people said to us was....what is your names.....what do you do.....where do you go to church....I knew that religion was very important to people here. But when we told them we were catholic they all just looked at us...when we made our first visit to the catholic church here.....i could see why....then someone said it us one day....I thought you had to be hispanic to be catholic....I guess we always learn from new people.......it was just funny to hear that and I understand that is REALLY what people thought...)

I really just wished we could have just a CHRISTIAN based bible study group and it didn't matter what religion you were...but I know what probably won't happen....

Thanks to all our friends that really have offered to help in so many ways...just count your blessings if you enjoy and love your church...it is one thing you should TREASURE...

No comments:

Powered By Blogger